Sunday, August 31, 2008

finish line

So, 'tis done. I have finally finished the two compositions that I was commissioned to write. Well, technically I was commissioned to write just one, but my busy crazy dad took on two ("just give me what's left") and since I purposely try hard not to be crazy busy, I volunteered to take one of his. In case you have no idea what I am talking about, both my dad and I were among seven Idaho composers commissioned to write a composition for public school students in Idaho. Our pieces will be posted on a website for Idaho music teachers to download for free for three years. It is part of a copyright settlement--all 50 states got money and this is what Idaho decided to do with theirs.

The first one is called "Journey: Travels of Lewis and Clark" for 2-part elementary choir and piano OR 2-part choir, Orff instruments, and piano.  I wrote two versions of the accompaniment in case teachers didn't/couldn't have kids or time to learn the Orff glockenspiels (little metal instruments) and xylophones. The other is "Idaho Wanderings" for middle school string orchestra. I based the theme on the letters I-D-A-H-O, using a system assigning a note name to each letter of the alphabet. 

I am fairly pleased with how they turned out--more so with "Journey" since "Wanderings" was a race to the finish line (I submitted them last night at 11:30 p.m.--and yes, it was due at midnight). BUT, they are done, I can finally move on with life, and start packing for my move to Corvallis on Saturday. Yea, packing. I LOVE moving. It's my favorite. NO, I'm not being sarcastic, no way. (o;

7 comments:

Theodore Hadley said...

yay katie the amazing wonder composer!!! luvyerdad

emily said...

hurray for moving to your new place!! Glad you got your composition done!! Whew!

Steph said...

You are way talented!! Coming from someone who is recently moved...good luck

Robin said...

Btw, our new music teacher was in tears today. I felt so sorry for her. She has taught high school for 4 years, so elementary is a new ballgame. We talked about some suggestions for classroom control. Poor thing. I remember the days....

Hope you like your new place.

Robin said...

Also, since you've had so much extra time on your hands, where are Eric's wedding pics? :)

Katie said...

Yep, elementary certainly is another ball game, poor thing.

Eric's pics: I hope to work on them some today, so hopefully within the next couple of weeks!

Steph said...

I hear I will get to see you in November!!