Friday, February 27, 2009

video calls

I remember a time when, if you wanted to talk to someone who lived too many miles away, you would pick up the phone and call. And then technology developed and that whole email thing kept us in touch with more frequency and that was great. And then text messages! Was there really a time that you couldn't punch random thoughts and greetings into a phone to a friend to read whenever they wanted? These are all great ways of keeping in touch with people you don't get to see often. 

So why now are all of these not good enough? Inferior, even? Yes, the world now includes Skype. And gmail chat. And iChat (which I haven't figured out yet, grr). You can now see your really cute nephew who lives 677.89 miles away from you. ON the computer. Talking and smiling at you. That's right. Real time video electronic cuteness. Other ways of communicating electronically are just not good enough anymore (notice I said electronically--there's still no replacing face-to-face, but this sure helps). 

And what's going to stop us from now just hanging out? Why the heck not? Hey, wanna have coffee together, sister-of-mine-who-is-677.89-miles-away-from-me-with-my-cute-nephew? Why, sure! says sister-of-mine-who-is-677.89-miles-away-from-me-with-my-cute-nephew. What are you making my nephew for breakfast this morning? Why, Katie, let me show you while I cut up bananas to add to cereal and will now feed him while you watch and talk to him.

See? You are now intrigued. You are now wondering why you haven't been doing this already. There are still some kinks Emily and I are trying to figure out, but we're both really enjoying it. It's definitely worth your time to look into it. I would love to talk to more of you this way! Or not. I would still rather you just come visit me instead. My extra bedroom is still waiting for visitors...


4 comments:

Heather said...

Teach me! I have gmail... how do I do gmail chat? Do you have to have a video thingy on your computer to make this work??

And again, you tell a good story!!!!

Katie said...

You do have to have a web cam. I have one built into my Macbook, but you can also buy one for not too much money. Once you have it, then I can help you set it up through gmail (under "settings").

Steph said...

What an excellent idea Katie and Emily! you two are so smart. Coffee over internet

emily said...

It's really fun, and amazing.