Tuesday, March 17, 2009

they call me Lenient

My lucky lucky students. I don't know if they realize how lucky they are to have an insecure first-year college teacher. Katie, to herself...well, OK, out loud to her computer: 

Katie: Wow, these quiz grades are not so good. I better see what the average is...
Computer: ##.#% average for quizzes.
Katie: Crap. That's not good. I must not be a good teacher.
Computer: You could change all that if you dropped their lowest quiz grade.
Katie: But would they then think I am too lenient? A pushover?
Computer: It's possible, but the other possibility is that they think you are a bad teacher because their grade really doesn't reflect their learning and effort in the class.
Katie: Wow, you're smart.
Computer: Yes, I know. Thank you. 
Katie: OK, I guess I'll drop their lowest quiz grade.
Computer: Yep, it's looking better now. I'm glad you made me change their percentages.
Katie: Thanks. At the risk of being too lenient, I do feel better now about their grades.
Computer: Wow, you're smart.
Katie: Now you're being sarcastic. I need more coffee.

See, it's good to talk these kinds of problems out with...

Wow, I need more coffee.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I also talk to my computer at work but have never had it respond...

Katie said...

Well, I didn't know what was worse to admit to: my computer or Katie #2 answering me. Pick whichever is the least she's-crazy one.

emily said...

wow, sounds like you really need that vacation

psychobob said...

I stopped talking to computers. They kept trying to lead me astray.