Sunday, December 20, 2009

identity

I had a great visit with friends and former colleagues in Lewiston before heading to Sandpoint. A few times I was asked by people who didn't/don't know me too well, "So, you're still single?" This question is completely fine to ask me and I don't mind...not in the way you may think, anyway. I only mind because that is not the first thing I think of to describe who I am.

I think that's why I have a problem with "singles groups" at church. That's a part of who am, but not even the first thing that comes to mind. I was also talking with a friend who is a new mom and although she loves being a mom, she doesn't want to be identified only as "mom" and associated only with the "mom's group."

I don't know what others who know me well would think to say about me, but here are where I hope my priorities are:
1) Christ-follower. How can I show Christ to people in the least "religious" county in the country?
2) Daughter/Aunt/Sister/Granddaughter/Niece/Friend
3) Teacher
4) Single
5) More...

Don't get me wrong--I do want to be married and want to be a mother, but it's not what I live my life for. I love my life right now and am (mostly) living in the joy God wants me to live in. I'm content.

6 comments:

emily said...

good for you, Katie. I think that's exactly the mindset God wants you to have as a single woman. I'm glad you are having fun in this season.

Steph said...

Amen Sister. Why does this have to be the first question? Yes it is a part of who we and helps define this season (hopefully only a season) but its not the only thing about our lives. Ok, done ranting :) Merry Christmas

Katie said...

Yeppers, Steph. Merry Christmas to you! I'll miss seeing you until spring break.

Melissa said...

totally agree! While I too don't mind the question I do not like that defining who I am to people. Thanks for sharing! :) Wish I could have been there in Ltown to greet you!

Heather said...

YAY!

Kara said...

So cool, Katie! You are an amazing woman!