Friday, September 17, 2010

change is fun, right?

Well, I already "knew" this, but reality is always more stark. Here is a letter I got yesterday in my box:


As we discussed last spring, I'm officially giving you notice that your fixed term appointment will terminate as of June 15, 2011. We have discussed the reasons for doing this, and of course I'll be happy to discuss it further.

Please be aware that we have been exceedingly pleased with your hard work, the effectiveness of your teaching, your collegiality and your commitment to the department's various missions. And, you should also know that I will be more than pleased to write you a letter of recommendation for any future job searches that you may undertake.

Thank you for your wonderful contributions to the music department.

Sincerely,
XX XX, chair


So, I'm officially out of a job after this year. If they end up not finding someone to replace me for next year, they probably will hire me back but most likely without a salary. I don't want to do that. So, I may be looking for a job next year in Oregon. I need to work this year and next in Oregon in order to get five years, which means I can take my retirement with me. I'm a little nervous now that it is more "real," but not worried, thankfully. Change is fun, isn't it? I'm actually excited for the future--nervous, but excited.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Not fun Katie. But at least they did give good warning instead of trying to spring it on you last minute. Can now pray for you! :)

Heather said...

Sorry to hear this... But, truly believe God has something else in store for you!

Kara said...

I'll be praying for you!